Welcome one, welcome all, to the next little experiment we’re trying out here at The Grown-Up Geek, our first ever, monthly book club podcast!
If there is one thing all of us here at The Grown-Up Geek love, it’s a good read. Growing up with shows like Reading Rainbow and Wishbone only served to encourage us to find ourselves buried deep within the pages of any number of books–and that love sticks with us even today.
It’s our hope that you all feel the same way, and that even if you don’t, perhaps joining in on our little club here can make a reader out of you yet!
So here’s how it works:
- Each month, on the first of the month, we will post to our social media–Facebook, and Twitter–the book we will be reading over the course of the month. We will also have an article just like this one up with a link to where you can go to buy a copy of the book, either physical, or digital.
- It is your job to read that book over the course of the month, and then e-mail us any thoughts, questions, or comments you might have about it at email@example.com
- We will then go through and pick our favorites and share them…wait for it…with the book’s author, who will (hopefully) join us for the podcast recording. We may even try to get a few of you to come on and ask your questions in person!
- The podcast will then be released here and on iTunes and Stitcher the first of the following month (i.e., September’s podcast will go live October first, and so on) and will include the name of the next month’s book!
- For the most body and shine possible, rinse and repeat.
So there you have it! Pretty easy, and hopefully, a fun way to get into books you may have already read, or are itching to break into.
Now, for the question you’ve likely been wondering…what is September’s book? Well, for our inaugural episode, we’ll be reading…
Armada by Earnest Cline, author of the New York Times bestselling Ready Player One.
In Armada, per the book sleeve, “Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming.
But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality.
And then he sees the flying saucer.
Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada—in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders.”
Already have a copy of the book? Excellent! Still need one? No problem!
If you’d like your own personal copy to grace your bookshelf, or fill the hard drive on your Kindle, consider picking up the book at the links provided above, which are through our Amazon Affiliates page–you get your book and help us out a little bit all at the same time! We are, however, also huge supporters of local libraries and encourage the financially savvy participants out there to hit one up first.
So, are you all ready? Grab your books and get reading, and we’ll be looking forward to those e-mails!