With ten cosplays planned over the next twelve months, to say I am diving head first into the world of cosplay is a fairly large understatement.
While traditional cosplay means different things to different people, it can be a bit overwhelming to a first-timer like me, walking a convention hall surrounded by gorgeous, detailed costumes, wigs, props, and makeup. With that in mind, I wanted to document my journey into this lush world.
Though props and accessories are sometimes the most detailed and difficult aspects of a cosplay, I have so far found them to be wholly rewarding to work on. Knowing I wanted to do a steampunk version of The Riddler, I took to Amazon to find a fascinator and cane I could build upon to get the look I wanted.
The cane was very light, and I knew it would never stand up to a seven hour road trip and a full weekend in a convention hall. I also had no intention of looking at that nausea-inducing combination of dull gold and plastic shine. So the cane was sprayed a matte black and filled with rondo to add some strength and weight. All of the detail pieces were removed from the hat, aside from the feathers which I decided to keep intact. With two essentially blank canvases to work from, I gathered my supplies:
Using the original black ribbon as a size guide, I cut a length of purple ribbon to fit my hat.
I adhered the ribbon with hot glue, attempting to smooth out the lump as much as possible.
Next, I chose two different pairs of pinking shears and used them to rough up the edges of the veil. I punctured small holes in the fabric, and tore it in several places as well.
Next, I distressed the veil further using three different colors of ink.
The sponge tips on the inks did not work well for getting color on the fabric at first, but once I switched to a dragging motion instead of dabbing I got the result I desired. I also adhered a metal clockwork detail onto the center of the veil, again using hot glue.
Finally, I hot glued the veil back into place on the fascinator. I still have one more detail to add to this piece, but I will need to pick up some two part epoxy to finish it.
With the cane, I knew I wanted an antiqued look – gaudy but in a dark way. I knew this could be achieved by using Rub ‘n Buff over top of the matte black paint.
I originally intended to use the stencil to apply the Rub ‘n Buff, but opted for a crumpled paper napkin instead to create the worn look I was aiming for.
My last step was to add some jewels. I didn’t start out with a pattern in mind, preferring to see where I wanted to go with it as I added jewels to the cane. I used a jewelry-grade adhesive for this, and as it dried I scraped the excess from the edges of the jewels for a clean look.
So that’s where I’m at with my props so far. I’ll hopefully have some progress updates on my jacket soon, as well as a post detailing makeup and wig tests.