I am beyond excited to talk about today’s project: playing with InstaMorph! When I first saw DIY videos using this amazing moldable plastic, my brain went wild with ideas for a number of my upcoming cosplays.
The label has this to say about the amazing product inside:
- Super strong, non-toxic, biodegradable plastic
- Create anything within minutes
- Form masks, props, and other art projects
- Produce brackets, parts, molds, and housings
- Fix, seal, repair, or make objects safe and ergonomic
- Paint, carve, machine, and attach it to stuff
- Reusable – reheat and reshape again and again
Starting out with a simple project like a mask seemed to be the way to go, and I certainly needed one to complete my Riddler costume.
Alright, supplies at the ready: kitchen scissors, rolling pin, utensil for fishing the InstaMorph out of the boiling water.
Simple enough instructions to follow. What you’re actually waiting for is for the pellets to adhere to one another and turn clear.
This is how they start off, looking a bit too much like insect eggs for my liking.
Into the pot of water where they immediately turn clear and begin sticking to one another. At this point I fished out my InstaMorph and began rolling it out as thin as I could get it.
I didn’t have a piece quite large enough, so I placed my rolled out section back into the pot, added some more InstaMorph pellets and some more boiling water as my original water had cooled off by this point.
While I was waiting for the pellets to heat up, I trimmed a basic fabric mask into more of a domino shape to be used as a pattern for my InstaMorph. You could really use anything for this – a mold, a paper template, whatever suits the shape of your project.
Once the InstaMorph was heated and rolled out again, I layered it over the fabric mask and trimmed away the excess. Every bit of excess was saved because, as the bottle says, InstaMorph can be heated up and reused multiple times. I could easily make one of my future projects using only the scraps from this mask.
The eye holes were cut out using an x-acto knife, and then I laid the mask on my face as it cooled, forming it to fit perfectly.
It still needs to be sanded and painted, but I feel pretty proud of this first InstaMorph project.
Once I take care of detailing and colors, the mask will be adhered to my face using spirit gum. I’m definitely looking forward to putting all the final touches on, but you’ll have to wait a bit longer to see how it turns out.
I do want to add that I went through quite a bit of trial and error which is only to be expected for a first time use of a product like InstaMorph. I had to put on several fresh kettles of water to boil because the water would cool down so quickly. It took about an hour of measuring and melting and heating more water and adding more pellets just to get something the right size to roll out and cut.
Additionally, once I had the shape I needed, it took several passes of putting the mask back into the heated water and softening it up to make clean cuts with the x-acto knife for the eye holes. Definitely not as simple as heat, pour, wait, create – though that’s all based solely on human error and no fault with the product itself. It was a fun learning experience, and now I know better for next time.
See you next week!