When I started my journey into the world of cosplay, I knew I wanted to focus on flexing my creative muscles–I wanted to work on portraying characters I hadn’t seen a large number of other people cosplaying, or to put my own spin on well-known characters; that is just my personal preference and the challenge I set out to complete.
That being said, I don’t grumble and groan when I am at a convention and see twenty different people dressed up as Harley Quinn, I smile because it is truly wonderful seeing people express their passion for a character or franchise.
In coming up with ideas and a schedule for the next twelve months, Bad Box Art Mega Man was actually the first character I jotted down.
While this odd and aesthetically unappealing version of Mega Man was already a unique cosplay to begin with, I planned to take my gender bent version a step further. I set my mind to the idea of having the helmet and weapon as the only pieces of my cosplay which would be as true to the original artwork as possible.
I’ll be sure to dedicate a future article to the gun, as well as some general information about bringing prop weapons to conventions or public spaces.
For today, we’ll be focusing on the construction of the helmet.
I am lucky enough to have a former costume designer and fellow geek for a husband. While I will be doing the majority of the heavy lifting on all of my cosplays, he will be helping out with bits and pieces going forward.
Having done armor construction in the past (and developing quite a passion for it), he very much wanted to work on this helmet for me, and I am truly grateful because it turned out absolutely gorgeously. We’ll take it step-by-step from start to finish:
1. For the base of the helmet, a durable 10″ plastic ball was used. Tape was applied to the areas where bondo would not be going.
2. A half-bondo, half-resin mix called rondo was poured over the ball in sections to get a smooth starting surface.
3. More time should have been allowed for the rondo to cure, but the ball was removed and bondo was added to smooth out ridges. Sanding began.
4. A paper mold was built up to create ear buds for the helmet, and these were adhered directly to the helmet surface. Rondo was applied with a paint brush to fill in gaps and smooth the area.
5. The helmet ridge was created by taping down a pattern of flash cards and filling with rondo.
6. The top ridge was sanded down. Glazing and spot putty filled in holes, cracks, and gaps. This was sanded with fine grit sand paper.
7. The helmet was primed with auto crack filling primer and the previous step was repeated as needed.
8. Areas to be painted were taped out in sections and corresponding paint colors were applied. Silver, then red, yellow, and finally blue.
9. At this point the helmet was clear coated to obtain a high-gloss finish.
You can tell I was excited to put this bad boy on my head. I’ll be wearing my hair straight for the final look.
Let me know what you think in the comments below, and feel free to ask any questions about the construction process.
Next week I will be playing around with InstaMorph, so be sure to stop back!